Think you need an expensive, industrial kitchen torch to make a great crème brûlée? Think again! There are a ton of great kitchen torches out there that are perfect for at-home chefs.
We’ve rounded up the best of the best, so you can find the perfect one for your needs. Whether you’re looking for something small and compact or something with more power, we’ve got you covered. Keep reading to learn more about the best kitchen torches on the market today.
Sondiko Butane Torch S400, Refillable Kitchen Torch Lighter, Fit All Butane Tanks Blow Torch with Safety Lock and Adjustable Flame for Desserts, Creme Brulee, and Baking—Butane Gas Is Not IncludedView on Amazon
Iwatani PRO2 Culinary Professional Kitchen Butane Torch | Adjustable Flame Shape Strength 2700 F | Sous Vide Crème Brulee Pastries | Anti-flare | Incl. Stabilizing Stand | Butane Fuel Not IncludedView on Amazon
TBTEEK Butane Torch, Kitchen Torch Cooking Torch with Safety Lock & Adjustable Flame for Cooking, BBQ, Baking, Brulee, Creme, DIY Soldering(Butane Not Included)View on Amazon
Sondiko Culinary Butane Torch, Black and Gray SP400, Fit All Butane Tanks with Safety Lock and Adjustable Flame for Desserts, Creme Brulee(Butane Gas Not Included)View on Amazon
Sondiko Kitchen Torch S901, Blow Torch, Refillable Butane Torch with Safety Lock and Adjustable Flame for DIY, Creme Brulee, BBQ and Baking, Butane Gas Not IncludedView on Amazon
Sondiko Butane Torch with Fuel Gauge S907, Refillable Kitchen Torch Lighter with Safety Lock and Adjustable Flame, One-handed Operation, Fit All Butane Tanks Kitchen Torch for Desserts, Creme BruleeView on Amazon
Sondiko Butane Torch, Culinary Kitchen Torch Refillable Blow Torch Lighter with Safety Lock&Continuously Flame for Cooking, Creme Brulee, BBQ, DIY&Soldering(Butane Gas not Included)View on Amazon
EurKitchen Premium Culinary Butane Torch with Safety Lock & Adjustable Flame Guard - Baking Tools as Chef Gifts - Kitchen Torch Lighter for Creme Brulee, BBQ, Soldering (Butane Gas Not Included)View on Amazon
Gibot Butane Torch,Kitchen Torch Cooking Torch Creme Brulee Torch, Refillable Adjustable Flame Lighter with Safety Lock for DIY, Creme, Brulee, BBQ and Baking(Butane Gas Not Included)View on Amazon
Kitchen Torch With Butane included - Refillable Butane Torch With Safety Lock & Adjustable Flame + Fuel gauge - Culinary Torch, Creme Brûlée Torch for Cooking Food, Baking, BBQ, 2 Cans IncludedView on Amazon
- BrandJo Chef
Culinary Butane Torch, Kitchen Refillable Butane Blow Torch with Safety Lock and Adjustable Flame for Crafts Cooking BBQ Baking Brulee Creme Desserts DIY Soldering (Butane Gas Not Included)View on Amazon
Butane Torch Kitchen Blow Lighter - Culinary Torches Chef Cooking Professional Adjustable Flame with Reverse Use for Creme, Brulee, BBQ, Baking, Jewelry by FunOwlet (Butane Fuel Not Included)View on Amazon
Last update on 2022-07-02 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
What is a kitchen torch?
A kitchen torch is a handheld, flamethrower-like device used in cooking to apply intense heat to food surfaces for the purpose of browning, caramelizing or crisping.
A kitchen torch typically uses butane or propane as a fuel source and has a trigger-operated valve that controls the flow of gas. The user ignites the gas with a built-in piezo electric igniter, and the flame is then directed at the food.
Kitchen torches are most commonly used to brown the top of crème brûlée, melt cheese on top of gratins, or char the skin of peppers or other vegetables. They can also be used to caramelize sugar atop a dessert or to crisp up the skin of a roasted chicken.
12 things to look for when buying a kitchen torch
Choosing the best kitchen torches involves considering a few key features. Kitchen torches are available in a wide range of prices, and the best one for you will depend on your needs and budget. Here are 12 things to look for when buying a kitchen torch:
1. Size and portability: Kitchen torches come in all shapes and sizes. Some are small enough to fit in your pocket, while others are larger and require a carrying case. Consider how you will use your torch and choose one that is the right size for you.
2. Fuel type: Most kitchen torches use butane or propane gas. Butane is more expensive but burns hotter, while propane is less expensive but doesn't burn as hot. Consider what you will be using your torch for and choose the fuel type that is right for you.
3. Heat output: The heat output of a kitchen torch is measured in BTUs (British thermal units). The higher the BTU rating, the hotter the flame. Choose a torch with a high BTU rating if you need to do things like caramelize sugar or sear meat.
4. Adjustable flame: Many kitchen torches have an adjustable flame, which allows you to control the size of the flame. This is handy for tasks like browning meringue or roasting coffee beans, where you need to be able to adjust the heat.
5. Safety features: Some kitchen torches come with safety features like child-resistant ignition or a pressure-relief valve. These features can help prevent accidents, so they are worth considering if safety is a concern for you.
6. Warranty: Most kitchen torches come with a one-year warranty. However, some brands offer extended warranties of up to five years. Consider the warranty when choosing a kitchen torch to ensure that you are getting a quality product.
7. Price: Kitchen torches range in price from around $20 to $200. Choose the best torch for your needs and budget.
8. Reviews: When choosing a kitchen torch, read online reviews to get an idea of what others think of the product. Look for reviews from people who have similar needs as you.
9. Brand: There are many different brands of kitchen torches on the market. Do some research to find a reputable brand that offers a quality product.
10. Accessories: Some kitchen torches come with accessories like a stand or carrying case. These can be handy, so consider them when choosing a torch.
11. Ease of use: Consider how easy the torch is to use. Some models have automatic ignition, while others require you to manually light the flame. Choose a model that is easy for you to use.
12. Customer service: If you have any problems with your torch, it's important to be able to reach customer service for assistance. Consider the customer service of the company when choosing a kitchen torch.
How to maintain your kitchen torch?
A kitchen torch is a handy tool to have in your kitchen, and it’s important to know how to properly maintain it. Here are some tips on how to keep your kitchen torch in good condition:
1. Store your torch in a safe place when not in use.
2. Always check the fuel level before using your torch, and refill as needed.
3. When using your torch, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
4. After each use, clean the nozzle of your torch with a damp cloth.
5. Periodically check the condition of your torch’s hose, and replace it if necessary.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your kitchen torch will be in good condition and ready to use whenever you need it.
Tips for using kitchen torches
Using a kitchen torch isn't as difficult as it may seem. Here are some tips to help you use your torch like a pro:
- Before using your torch for the first time, be sure to read the manufacturer's instructions carefully. This will help you understand how to operate the torch safely and correctly.
- When using your torch, be sure to work in a well-ventilated area.
- Be careful not to overfill the fuel tank. When using butane torches, for example, only fill the tank about halfway to avoid leaks and spills.
- To avoid burns, never put your hand or any other part of your body directly over the flame.
- If you're not using the torch for an extended period of time, be sure to turn it off and empty the fuel tank. This will help prevent leaks and spills.
With these tips in mind, you'll be able to use your kitchen torch like a pro in no time!
Can I use a regular torch instead of a kitchen torch?
No, you cannot use a regular torch instead of a kitchen torch. A kitchen torch is specifically designed for cooking purposes, while a regular torch is not. While a regular torch may be able to provide heat for cooking, it is not designed to do so and may not be safe. Therefore, it is best to use a kitchen torch specifically designed for cooking.
What can I use instead of a kitchen torch?
If you don't have a kitchen torch, you can use the broiler in your oven. Place the food on a baking sheet and broil it for a few minutes, watching it closely so it doesn't burn. You could also try using a blowtorch, but be very careful not to set anything on fire!
Can I sear a steak with a butane torch?
Yes, you can sear a steak with a butane torch. This will give the steak a nice, crisp exterior while keeping the interior juicy and tender. When searing with a butane torch, be sure to use long, even strokes to get an even sear. If you have never seared a steak before, it is best to practice on cheaper cuts of meat first so that you can get a feel for how long to sear each side without overcooking the steak.
Choosing the best kitchen torches requires some research. Butane torches are a popular choice because they're easy to use and relatively inexpensive. But, if you're looking for a more powerful torch, propane torches are also an option. When choosing a kitchen torch, be sure to consider the intended use, fuel type, ease of use, and customer service of the company. With these factors in mind, you'll be able to choose the best kitchen torch for your needs.